6 Ways To Make Sure Online Sales Training Works For You or Your TeamJul 07, 2020
If you haven't noticed by now, there are a ton of resources available to nearly anyone who is trying to learn anything. There are books, seminars, workshops, classes, conferences, online courses, downloadable instructions and virtual video classes for just about anything you would want to learn - including sales training and skill development.
According to Sales Alliance, sales people lose 80%+ of what they learn without continued training and skill development. It's also no secret that we forget over half of what we learn moments after learning it.
Every company I've worked for or worked with has some type of new-hire onboarding training. This allows new employees to gather all the product knowledge they need to know in order to understand what products they are selling and how they work. Additional product knowledge training is done when companies introduce new products or services to their sales staff. Obviously, this is important!
However, learning about products are learning how to sell them are two completely different processes. Unfortunately, most companies do not provide comprehensive, ongoing sales trainings to their employees.
15% of sales managers say that their company provide the right sales training and coaching. - Sales Management Association
So, how can you ensure that online sales training works for you or your team?
- Implement an online sales training program: You won't be able to leverage the benefits of online sales training if you don't have one.
- Create a viable schedule for training: You or your team will have to schedule time to learn, train and practice. If you are unwilling to schedule a frequent and consistent training time into your schedule, you and your team just won't get it done. My tip: schedule your trainings into 15-20 minute increments repeated 5-7 days per week.
- Do not binge: Watching 2 hours of dense sales training material will be forgotten just as quickly as it is consumed. Regardless of how smart you are, you cannot develop new skills from watching/listening to new sales training content.
- Look for a duplicatable 'nugget' & practice immediately: You may end up seeing or hearing a tip or technique that excites you or helps solve a problem. As soon as this happens, stop consuming the content and immediately turn it off. Grab a co-worker or somebody you can practice with. Drilling and role-playing are very effective techniques that can be used on a daily basis to truly develop communication and sales skills.
- Train frequently: High performers in any career practice, train and learn every single day. High performing sales professionals also work on their craft daily. Logging into an online sales training program once per week will simply not yield the results you are looking for.
- Train consistently: Without a longterm training plan, sales reps and sales teams can 'get rusty'. Consistent training ensures that skills don't deteriorate over time or become forgotten.
It's also important to note that some sales skills can take time to develop. Regardless of how good the sales training content is, some lessons, techniques and approaches will take several hours of repetitive drilling and role-playing to understand, let alone master. Having an accountability partner or co-worker to train with can dramatically enhance the overall skill development process.
Lastly, it's imperative that the sales training content you or your team is consuming is relevant, effective, up-to-date and has a proven track record. Stupar Sales Academy is a very popular online sales training and development program that delivers the most modern, effective and up-to-date sales approaches. Hundreds of sales professionals and teams rely on the sales content inside Stupar Sales Academy to ensure that the content being consumed is actually effective in today's progressive and changing selling landscape. Click here for more information.
Join The Sales Lounge on Facebook
Download Our 2022 Sales Playbook for FREE
Discover the 5 plays you need to run in 2022 to have the best year ever.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.